Monday, September 6, 2010

IDOL RANT


I have an addiction to reality TV. I have dreams about being a Kardashian, living in the house next door and my fashion designs walking down the runway. One can argue that this addiction is a result of me wanting to be famous, I think it is more to due with making me feel normal - nothing beats seeing reality TV 'stars' making fools of themselves.

So it comes as no surprise that I fell into that minority that was delighted that South African Idols was back on our screens. Last night was the first Sunday I was home in time to watch Idols since it started. I couldn't wait to see what talent this country has. When the show ended I was left feeling as disappointed as a fat kid in a diet shop.

Now don't get me wrong the Top 10 can actually sing - some better then others, but what put me off and here's the shocker: it was not Gareth Cliff, but the presenters. I honestly do not know what possessed the powers-that-be at Idols to bring back the inarticulate and annoying Liezel van der Westhuizen. At least they are keeping her back stage. Hopefully the next step will be outside the studio and away from the cameras. Last night she was wearing a pink wig because as she put it: "It's for our rock theme". As a presenter there is no excuse for the amount of grammatical errors she makes. I am beginning to think that Idols could only afford one teleprompter and that one went to van der Westhuizen's co-host, ProVerb.

Now the idea to have a well-know South African recording artist on stage with wannabes is actually a good idea, however Idols choice hits a bad note. Proverb seems very uncomfortable on stage and you can see him reading the teleprompter, so I do not know why he is holding notes all the time. It bugs me that he never interacts with the contestants or the judges. Being a presenter is about being able to think on your feet and not regurgitate what the teleprompter has on its screen. I think that these two can take a leaf out of Ryan Seacrest's book as he is the king of presenting and reality TV.

I think that Mnet should look into having a reality TV show to search for presenters for the next season of Idols. I might just enter, just to hear these words: YOU HIRED. One can dream - Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails